Happy August 1st and welcome to our month themed on food! It’s a little early but we wanted to be sure you were ready for KGI‘s World Kitchen Garden Day coming up on August 26th this year.
World Kitchen Garden Day is an annual, decentralized celebration of food produced on a human-scale. It is recognized each year on the 4th Sunday of August.
It is an opportunity for people around the world to gather in their gardens with friends, family, and members of their local community to celebrate the multiple pleasures and benefits of home-grown, hand-made foods.
- To celebrate the positive role of organic kitchen gardening in society, health, and gastronomy
- To raise awareness about the benefits of eating local and to encourage people to explore local food options in their areas
- To build community spirit, at local and international levels, around the universal experiences of gardening, cooking, and eating
How people celebrate International Kitchen Garden Day and with whom is up to them. Some choose to do so in public ways with large gatherings of friends and neighbors, whereas others opt for a more intimate celebration with close family. Here are a few ideas for some activities you might consider organizing depending on the level of involvement you would like to have:
- a walking tour of gardens in your area
- a kitchen garden or local agriculture potluck
- a kitchen garden taste-test -a harvest or planting party
- a benefit for a local food/gardening charity
- a kitchen garden “teach in”
- a single food theme party
- an activity at a local farm