After learning about the importance of water to our body’s health and a few insights into the bottled water industry – we thought we’d explore our looming water crisis…
Our planet is made up of 70% water. However approximately 97% of that is saltwater which leaves only 3% or less as fresh, drinkable water.
This 3% is found in glaciers, lakes, rivers, soil moisture and underground aquifers (which is where the majority of the water we consume today is taken from). If this groundwater is pumped out faster than it is renewed, it becomes a nonrenewable resource.
Since our global population continues to grow and developed nations refuse to decrease our overuse of fresh water, the earth’s fresh water is being used, on average, at 1.5 times faster than it can replenish itself. The UN estimates that by 2025, 48 nations, with combined population of 2.8 billion, will face freshwater “stress” or “scarcity”.
A quote from FLOW:
“The demand for fresh water in our world over the next 30 years is far outstripping the supply. Not that the water isn’t somewhere on the planet still — but we have polluted it, diverted it, allowed it to get poisoned by seawater. One way or another, we have taken accessible clean water … and we have rendered it unusable. We take massive amounts [of water] and we irrigate the desert, where it evaporates. We’re pumping groundwater all over the world far faster that it can be replenished by nature. We are actually running out of fresh, clean water everywhere in the world, including here in North America. We have to give up this myth of abundance. We have come to the limits of the planet.”
We pollute it through harsh chemical run offs from mines, improper sewage systems, through our use of pesticides & herbicides and our disposal of polystyrene foam & plastics, which don’t biodegrade. Water pollution is a major problem in the global context. It has been suggested that it is the leading worldwide cause of deaths and diseases, and that it accounts for the deaths of more than 14,000 people daily.
It’s difficult to believe that many of us use fresh, drinkable water to flush our toilets and wash our clothes. OR that in the process of bottling water – twice as much water goes into making a bottle as its contents, so every bottle of water sold actually represents 3 bottles of water (Do One Green Thing, Pennybacker).
This coming Tuesday (March 22) is World Water Day – in honor of this day and of the very real, so real we shouldn’t be able to ignore it so easily any more, water crisis – do your part to cut back in your personal fresh water use!